Tuesday, July 1, 2008

[Jim's Eclectic World] New comment on Re-mythologizing Yellowstone: Part 1 - True and fa....

Jim Macdonald has left a new comment on your post "Re-mythologizing Yellowstone: Part 1 - True and fa...":

First of all, you are referring to a comment in the Yellowstone Newspaper, September 2007, just for the sake of clarity, which points people back to this essay.

And, it's accurate. That there was a real Ranger Smith in your blog isn't relevant to my point and nor is your lacking a specific reference to Jellystone. You were referring to the myth in the way you talk about Yogi. It's an appropriate allusion; especially as I said "a bit of those myths," and especially the particular personification of bears in the way you did in your blog.

That's all I said; that's all I meant. And, yes, I would challenge us to consider carefully the way you we draw upon these myths. We all do so in many ways, in ways we are not even conscious of - the point isn't to avoid myth, but to be critical about the use.

And, if you read my essays carefully, I'm very pro myth; I'm just not in favor of that particular one in terms of Yellowstone or the bears within it.

I'm sorry you were offended that I made the reference, but I think you are protesting too much.



Posted by Jim Macdonald to Jim's Eclectic World at 7/2/08 1:16 AM
__________________________________________________
D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
http://www.doteasy.com