Wednesday, August 27, 2008

[Jim's Eclectic World] New comment on Reflections on the beauty of waterfalls.

American Puzzle has left a new comment on your post "Reflections on the beauty of waterfalls":

A philosophical poser, indeed. I like "Me's" answer above. This is an excellent question - why is it that we are drawn to certain things we perceive as beautiful, powerful, awe-inspiring? But earth-based phenomena in particular. As for me, I have the same reaction to the ocean as I do to waterfalls - even small lakes, ponds, and rivers to some extent. When I hike, I always seek out the trail with a body of water in some form...but why do I do this? I have no idea - I feel drawn to seek out and observe water, but am not drawn to stand under the fall or play in the lake. The mystery and constancy attract me - in addition to rocks and earth, the water connects me (or any individual) as a human to our interconnected past. We are so dependent on this land and especially water, that dependence likely works its way through our subconscious to become fascination and admiration on the surface. Maybe. :P Or maybe there's an element of fear in our fascination - water, especially waterfalls and the ocean, are uncontrollable by us...anything we can't control fascinates us. Great questions and really enjoyable to read - thanks for sharing! :)



Posted by American Puzzle to Jim's Eclectic World at 8/27/08 5:41 PM
__________________________________________________
D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
http://www.doteasy.com